Do you want to know how you can charge your laptop without using a charger? Fortunately, there are some easy ways with which you can do this.
You can charge your laptop without a charger by using a power bank, your car battery, your mobile phone, USB cables, and universal power adapters. You can also keep your laptop charged with an externally chargeable battery and a spare battery.
In this guide, I am exploring the complete step-by-step process of how to charge a laptop without a charger. Let’s start.
Best Ways to Charge a Laptop Without a Charger
Charging a laptop without its charger is super easy if you know how to do it. Here, I have shortlisted some of the tested ways, including their pros and cons.
Method #01: With Power Bank
A power bank is the most convenient way to charge your laptop without a charger. Basically, it is a portable battery for your laptop, which is easily available at any electronics store or online. It comes in various shapes and colors and is built for different charging capacities.
To charge your laptop with a power bank, you must follow the below steps:
- Please make sure that the power bank is compatible with your laptop. Some laptops can be charged with a USB-A port, and some will charge with type USB-C port, DC, or AC output.
- Then turn on the power bank by pushing a power button. The power bank has a powerful symbol that blinks/lights up to indicate power is on.
- Connect your power bank to the laptop. You should use a USB-C cable or an adapter to power your laptop. Most power banks offer 5 volts for charging, but USB-C ones can support 8 volts. Most laptops also need 8-12 volts to properly charge. So, go for USB-C ones.
- Easy to use
- Power Banks are portable.
- A reliable source to charge a laptop.
- You will have to keep power banks with you all the time.
Method #02: Charge Your Laptop From Car’s Battery
You can also charge your laptop using your car’s battery. For this, you will need to have two things:
- An AC adapter with USB-C connecter at one end and USB-A at the other.
- A USB car charger.
If you have them, then follow these steps to charge your laptop:
- First, turn on your car engine.
- Then plug the charger into your car’s USB port. Newer models have USB ports, so you may not even need a car charger.
- Plug the USB-C connector into your laptop. The laptop will then start charging from the car’s battery, and you won’t even need a charger to do this.
- Supports fast charging
- You can simply keep charging accessories like USB cables in your car.
- Best for travelers
- Your car’s battery will be consumed more this way.
Method #03: Using Your Mobile
You can also charge your laptop without a charger if you have a mobile with you. It is perhaps the easiest method by which you transfer your phone’s battery to your PC. To do this, you just need a USB-C cable.
To charge your laptop with your mobile, you have to follow the below steps:
- First, connect one end of the USB-C cable to your mobile and the other end to your laptop.
- Then go to the settings of your mobile and navigate to USB power settings. You can also swipe down to open the notification bar, and you will see a Charging bar there. Tap on it and make sure it is set to “Charge Only.”
- Your laptop will also recognize your mobile, and the battery will start to charge.
- Easiest method
- It can also transfer data from mobile to laptop and vice versa this way.
- The current flow remains smooth.
- The Mobile’s battery will be consumed.
- Charging your laptop with your mobile is a handy trick, but it is not a long-term solution for charging.
Method #04: With Universal Power Adapter
You can also charge your laptop with a universal power adapter. It is an AC/DC device with multiple interchangeable pins and works like your original charger. They simply connect to power sources, and you can then easily charge your laptop.
Note that the universal adapter has different tips, so choose the right one to charge the laptop.
- Comes with different tips so that you can easily connect it to your laptop
- Fast charging speed
- You will have to buy Universal Power Adapter
Method #05: Via USB Type C Adapter
I suggest you also use the USB Type-C Adapter whenever you have to charge your laptop, and there is no charger nearby.
The reason I am suggesting Type-C and not Type-A is that USB-A power cables are less powerful. Their ports are rectangular and flat and often have three-pronged symbols. On the other hand, USB-C is powerful as they are 8 volts or higher.
So, how to charge a laptop with a USB Adapter? Just connect it to a power source and then plug it into your laptop.
- Ultra quick and reliable charging
- It is small in size, so you can take it anywhere you like.
- You will need a power source to use it.
Method #06: With a Spare Battery
You can always have a spare battery that you can use to charge up the laptop without using any charger. Different manufacturers also make spare parts for PCs, and the battery is one of them. You can just charge it whenever you are home or find a power source anywhere. Then, when the laptop’s battery goes down, you can replace it with the spare one that is fully charged.
- Easy to handle an extra battery as you can keep one in your bag
- Within a minute, your laptop will have 100% charging. If you use other ways, you will have to sit back and wait for the laptop to charge up a bit.
- Spare batteries are a little expensive.
Method #07: Charge Laptop With a Phone Charger
People who don’t have their laptop’s charger with them often search, “how to charge a laptop with phone charger?”
Well, yes, you can charge your laptop with a phone charger Type-C. Just plug the charger into the laptop’s port and then connect it to a power source.
- You will not have to spend any money on buying additional accessories.
- The phone’s charger is portable.
- If your laptop doesn’t support a phone charger’s port, then it won’t charge.
Laptop Not Charging Without a Charger- Some Fixes
If you try to charge your laptop without a charger and have no success, I have some solutions for you.
- First, check whether the power source (Power Bank. mobile, etc.) you are using to charge your laptop is itself charged or not. If the battery of the power bank or mobile is low, then they won’t be able to charge any other device.
- Clean the Laptop’s port with cotton or any soft material. Sometimes, there is dirt around the port which does not allow the current to pass. Similarly, clean the port of the source too.
- Restart your laptop. If the PC is not recognizing the source device, restarting or rebooting the system will be a good thing to do.
- Always go for Type-C and not Type-A adapters for seamless laptop charging without a charger.
How to Charge your laptop with a broken Charging Port?
If your charging port gets damaged, but you have to charge your laptop, then remove the laptop’s battery from the back side and find its (+) and (-). They are usually marked, but you can use a voltmeter if they are not. Take a power source and attach its (+) point to the (+) of the battery and (-) to the (-) of the battery. Use the ammeter to keep checking the voltage. When the battery is 100% charged, the ammeter will show zero value.
Once it is fully charged, put it back into your laptop and use it again.
How to Charge a Laptop with Another Laptop?
You can charge your laptop by using another laptop. You just have to take out the battery of another laptop, if compatible, put it into your laptop, and put it back into that laptop after use.
You can also connect both laptops via a USB cable (or use an adapter if the ports do not support it) to charge the laptop.
Is it Safe to Charge Laptops without their Chargers?
It is generally safe to charge your laptops without chargers. You can try a power bank, USB type-C adapter, and any other method to juice up your laptop. However, I recommend you do not keep doing this as voltage/power fluctuations in these methods can impact your laptop’s battery.
How to Charge Laptops with No Electricity?
If your Power Bank is fully charged and you have no electricity, then you can use it to charge your laptop. In addition, you can also use your mobile phone or a spare battery to increase the battery. Just connect them to your laptop, and it will begin to charge.
So, how to charge a laptop without a charger?
You can charge your laptop without using a charger from a Power Bank, Mobile phone, Type-C adapter, and universal Adapter. Moreover, you can also use the car’s battery to charge your laptop as well.
I also suggest you try to juice up your laptop using a spare battery. That’s all about charging your laptop without using a charger.